When you try to launch an application (.exe files), the following error message appears and the program does not run.
This problem occurs if the .exe file association in the registry is corrupt. This behavior is generally caused by viruses; one of which is SirCam virus, which modifies the .exe file association in registry.
- Click Start, Run and type Command
- Type the following commands one by one:
- If Registry Editor opens successfully, then navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command
- Double-click the (Default) value in the right pane
- Delete the current value data, and then type:
- Navigate to:
- In the right-pane, set (default) to exefile
- Exit the Registry Editor.
Download exefix_xp and double click the file to run it, This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.