If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file follow the below steps.
- Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
- Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
- In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
- Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
- Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
- You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
- Type exit to reboot the computer.