Compare Personal Folders Backup, exporting, and archiving
There are three ways to back up your Outlook e-mail messages, contacts, appointments, tasks, notes, and journal entries — the Personal Folders Backup tool, exporting, and archiving.
Personal Folders Backup tool is used to copy your entire .pst file or files to your hard disk or to a network server or share.
Export is used to create a file containing Outlook information, but still keep the original data in your folders. You can only export one folder at a time.
Archive is used to move the items that you want to back up out of your folders.
Install the PST Backup tool
- Exit Outlook.
- Download the tool from the Microsoft Office Online site by clicking the Download link and following the instructions in the dialog boxes.
- To start the setup program, double-click the Pfbackup.exe program file on your hard disk.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
- Start Outlook.
Use the PST Backup tool
Before you begin the backup process, you might want to check the size of your .pst file. If you have multiple folders in your .pst file, you must select the top-level folder to determine the total file size for all the folders.
Open a backup copy of a Personal Folders file
- On the File menu, click Backup.
- Click Open Backup.
- Click the personal folders file you want to open, and then click Open.
You can also open a .pst file without using the Personal Folders Backup tool. In Outlook, you can open Outlook data files on the File menu.
The amount of information you want to recover will determine the way you restore your backup data. If you want to recover:
- If you want to recover a few items that were accidentally deleted or changed, open the file and then move or copy the items from the backup file into your original file.
- On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Outlook Data File.
- Click the .pst file you want to open, and then click OK.
The name of the folder associated with the data file appears in the Folder List. To view the Folder List, on the Go menu, click Folder List. By default, the folder will be called Personal Folders.
- Close the backup file by right-clicking it, and then click Close.
- If you want to recover a large number of items or an entire folder, import the backup copy of the file. If you don’t need to replace the entire folder, you can filter items to obtain the ones you want. Or you can import the entire folder and specify whether or not to replace duplicate items.
- On the File menu, click Import and Export.
- Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
- Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
- In the File to import box, specify the path and file name of the .pst file you want to import.